Wild Hunt is our fall seasonal, it was originally developed by former senior brewer Nate Palm. Now you can make it at home all year 'round with this Wild Hunt Mead Recipe.
Enjoy the tingling tartness of cranberries mixed with spiced blood orange for Halloween, Thanksgiving, or just because the year is coming to an end. The head huntsmen is on the ride and you can either put your head down and close your eyes, or you can come and join the hunt!
WARNING: This is one of our most commonly asked-after recipes, so be prepared to become the most popular person in your social circles after you start brewing it.
Wild Hunt Mead Recipe
Batch Size - 5 Gallon/19L
OG - 1.044
FG - 1.002
ABV - 5.8
7.5 lbs wildflower honey
64 fl oz cranberry juice
32 fl oz orange juice
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamom pods
Enough water to make the final volume 5 gallons
1 oz. Wyeast Wine Yeast Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets (if desired)
5 packets QA23 Yeast
Step by Step
- Combine the first six ingredients with the water at 92°F (33°C) stirring vigorously to aerate.
- Either sulfite with Campden tablets and wait 24 hours or go on to the next step
- Add the yeast as recommended by the manufacturer
- Maintain the fermentation at about 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bottle (with priming sugar) or keg when bubbling has completely stopped (should be 8-10 days).
- Enjoy your Wild Hunt Mead in a week or two!
- Be sure to share this Wild Hunt Mead recipe with your friends!
For general brewing principles and practices please visit our article: How We Brew Everything We Brew
Don't want to wait? You can order Wild Hunt online and have it shipped right to your door in most of the US!