Curmudgeon is our sour elderberry and maple mead. It was brewed in collaboration with Rumamok Maple!
Curmudgeon Clone Recipe
Batch Size - 5 Gallon/19L
OG - 1.044
FG - 1.002
ABV - 5.8
5.5 lbs wildflower honey
3 oz dried elderberries
2 oz maple syrup
Enough Water to Make the Final Volume 5 Gallons
1 oz. Wyeast Wine Yeast Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets (if desired)
5 packets QA23 Yeast
1 packet/vial Lactobacillus Planatarum
Step by Step
- Combine the first five ingredients with the water at 92°F (33°C) stirring vigorously to aerate.
- Either sulfite with campden tablets and wait 24 hours or go on to the next step
- Add the yeast and bacteria as recommended by the manufacturer
- Maintain the fermentation at about 86 degrees fahrenheit
- Bottle (with priming sugar) or keg when bubbling has completely stopped (should be 8-10 days).
- Enjoy in a week or two!
For general brewing principles and practices please visit our article: How We Brew Everything We Brew